Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This One Time at YAP Camp...

I am going to wholeheartedly apologize right now for the plethora of YAP camp stories that I'm going to be sharing.

So this camp is for Gifted and Talented kids and while I don't want to go too much into the logistics of our camp days and lives, it's basically like this:  We live in an off campus dorm, and each morning we take our kids to their class in the morning for a few hours, then go back to the dorm for lunch, then go back to class for another couple of hours and then come back for some downtime/group activity and then dinner and another activity or something. Then the counselors get together and we meet and then we have free time to dod whatever...a.k.a. sleep and go back home to get the things we forgot.
ANYWAY....
Before camp started, I made cupcakes as a "Welcome to Camp" surprise for the counselors.  This is what I ended up with:
Chocolate Cupcakes with a Whipped Chocolate Fudge Frosting 
I also made a fellow counselor a birthday cake this week.  I did the same chocolate cake that I used for the cupcakes, made the fudge frosting the filling and didn't make it as thick.  Then I iced it/decorated it with the basket weave that I learned as mentioned in a previous post with a blue tinted vanilla buttercream.  It was pretty tasty but I won't be posting any pictures because it was pretty messy.  A word of caution:  when piping buttercream, you want to make SURE that it is thin enough to pipe easily.  If not, you will not only take FOREVER, it'll make your hand hurt ridiculously badly the next day.  You can thin it out with water, or milk.  I used milk but not enough so it was still reallllllly thick.  

HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to post again fairly soon, but no promises because downtime is limited and mostly used for sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment