Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hoppy Easter!

Every Easter, for as long as I can remember, Mr. E. Bunny would leave clues in plastic eggs for us to find our Easter baskets! Waking up on Easter morning was one of the most exciting days of the year for us!  I was always up first to scope out where all the eggs were hidden.  All the eggs had a little note that was quippy and cleverly crafted by my father.  I'm pretty sure that Easter is the only day of the year that I've ever been able to read my father's handwriting because he always tried so hard to conceal E. Bunny's true identity.

I was really bummed this year when I found out that I wasn't going home for Easter.  Between my parents visiting last weekend and me going home this coming weekend, it just didn't make sense to go home for Easter.

I was disappointed that I was going to miss out on things like dyeing eggs with my parents.  Since we weren't celebrating Easter as a family on Easter this year, our Easter celebration started last weekend with our Easter baskets from our parents last week.  I got a Lemon Parfait Vera Bradley beach towel (my mother loves to feed my Vera Bradley addiction!), candy and a few other things!  Then, we got a box in the mail from my Aunt!  She sent us a box filled with easter grass and all these really neat eggs in shapes like cupcakes, ice cream, etc.  Each egg had a piece of candy in it!  The box was a really nice surprise this week!!

To make Easter special for my sister and I, I decided to make a quiche.  Homemade quiche can be a fairly involved task but I thought it was totally worth it!  This morning I woke up super early to take a shower and get the kitchen ready for me to make the quiche!  I used the Pate Brisee recipe from marthastewart.com and it came together pretty well!  I probably could have put a little more water in it but overall it was pretty good! For the filling, I made it up.  I combined a few different recipes and it ended up something like this:

7 Eggs Beaten
1.75 cups of Heavy Cream
1 Medium Potato - peeled and cubed then fried in butter in a skillet
1.5 handfulls of Mild Cheddar Cheese
6 slices of bacon chopped fairly large

Beat the eggs and add the heavy cream and whisk together.  Once crust is cooled, add the potatoes, bacon, and cheese to egg mixture.  Pour mixture into crust.  (I had extra filling and it spilled over the crust into the sides.  To avoid this, either use a larger pie plate and use more crust OR reduce the eggs to 6 and the  heavy cream to 1.5 cups).  I baked the quiche at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and pushed a knife through the top and it was still really runny so I put it back in for another 5-10 minutes.  After letting the quiche rest for 30 minutes, We cut into it and ENJOYED!  My house now smells wonderful and I can't believe how delicious it was! Also, it reheats really well!!!!! Hoppy Easter to all of my readers!
Ignore the messy plate, this was my second piece!!

No comments:

Post a Comment